Friday, June 1, 2012

Oh no, we have a leak!

There goes the idea of not spending money in June... On Wednesday, I headed down to our home gym for an afternoon workout and after finishing on the elliptical, my foot touched the carpet. I figured that one of the kids knocked over a cup of water on the floor, but I was so wrong. Instead, it turned out to be the expansion tank on the hot water heater had sprung a leak. Steam and water were all over the place.

Once Sammy got up, I took the kids over to Home Depot, got the parts that I needed to repair it and hoped that I could get the old unit off of our lousy piping. Of course, that didn't work. Our plumber came and had as bad of a time as I did in attempting to remove the expansion tank as well as not damaging the existing piping. Low and behold, it was fixed, but then we found water coming out of the patched up and terrible solder job(s) that the previous homeowner had done. So, we had to get the pipes replaced going into the hot water heater and just to cap it off, our pressurization regulator for the house was shot as well. There goes spending less, nearly five hundred and fifty dollars in repairs and we had a discounted price.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, it sounds to me like you would have been better off buying a whole new tank instead. It might have saved you a lot of money. Then again, you didn’t know at first that there would be that many things that needed repairing. I hope your tank hasn’t given you any trouble since you patched it up, but if it has, then I think replacing it would be a more permanent solution.

    Althea Tumlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That situation is a big headache! You know, when you have a plan, but you can’t push through with it because something happened. That would drive you crazy! When cases like that happen, and you need to deal with it as soon as possible before it takes a turn for the worse. Nevertheless, you were able to spend less while getting the job done. So kudos to that. :)

    Regards,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! I gotta echo Angela’s thoughts. I’m sorry that the repairs to your water tank and pipes cost you a large sum of money. That’s why it’s so important to go with the most reliable materials and the most reputable plumbing company. Investing in plumbers and materials will ensure that you won’t need to spend more money in the near future.

    ++ Carmella Vancil

    ReplyDelete